Home | About us | Editorial board | Search | Ahead of print | Current issue | Archives | Submit article | Instructions| Reviewers

Login 
  Home Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size Users Online: 219    
     
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2017  |  Volume : 7  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 116-124

Clinicopathological profile and malignant transformation in oral lichen planus: A retrospective study


Department of Oral Pathology and Microbiology, Kalinga Institute of Dental Sciences, KIIT University, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India

Correspondence Address:
Sujatha Ramachandra
Department of Oral Pathology and Microbiology, Kalinga Institute of Dental Sciences, KIIT University, Bhubaneswar, Odisha
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jispcd.JISPCD_103_17

Rights and Permissions

Objectives: The aim of this study was to analyze the histopathologically diagnosed cases of oral lichen planus (OLP) in terms of age, gender, clinical variant, site, hyperpigmentation, systemic illness, grade of dysplasia, and associated malignant transformation. This study also intended to do a review of reported cases of OLP with malignant transformation. Materials and Methods: One hundred and forty-three cases of histopathologically diagnosed OLP between 2010 and 2016 were retrospectively reviewed. Demographic and clinicopathological data including malignant transformation were obtained. The data obtained were analyzed using the Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) software for Windows version 20.0 (IBM SPSS, SPSS Inc., Chicago, IL, USA). A review of published literature on OLP with malignant transformation was also done from 1988 to 2017 and tabulated. Results: OLP in this study showed a male predilection with most of the patients in the third decade. The buccal mucosa (bilateral presentation) was the most common site (79.72%), and reticular type was the most common clinical type (79.02%) followed by erosive type (20.98%). The majority (92.31%) of cases were diagnosed with OLP without dysplasia. The rest (7.69%) of dysplastic cases were predominantly seen in the buccal mucosa of 58 years and above, female patients manifesting mainly as erosive type. Two patients (1.4%) previously diagnosed clinically and histopathologically as OLP developed oral squamous cell carcinoma. Conclusion: The present investigation revealed the predominance of OLP among middle-aged male population and the prevalence of bilateral involvement of buccal mucosa. Two of our cases showed malignant transformation over an average period of 3.5 years. The outcome of this study emphasizes the role of clinical follow-up of patients with OLP.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed877    
    Printed16    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded136    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal