Home | About us | Editorial board | Search | Ahead of print | Current issue | Archives | Submit article | Instructions| Reviewers

Login 
  Home Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size Users Online: 994    
     
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2019  |  Volume : 9  |  Issue : 5  |  Page : 458-463

Cone beam computed tomography analysis of root and root canal morphology of first permanent lower molars in a Middle East subpopulation


Preventive and Restorative Dentistry, College of Dental Medicine, University of Sharjah, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Saaid Al Shehadat
Preventive and Restorative Dentistry, College of Dental Medicine, University of Sharjah, P. O. Box 27272, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates

Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jispcd.JISPCD_41_19

Rights and Permissions

Aim: The aim of this study was to investigate variations in the number of roots and root canals in first permanent lower molars (FPLMs) using cone beam computed tomography (CBCT). Materials and Methods: A total of 640 CBCT images were analyzed using SIDEXIS XG software version 2.62 (Sirona Dental Systems, Bensheim, Germany). The entire root anatomy of FPLMs was investigated in three dimensions and the number of roots, root canals, and the number of canals per root were recorded. Statistical analysis was performed using the Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS) software, version 24, (IBM Corporation, USA) to determine the relationship between root anatomy and gender, age, or tooth location (right or left side). Results: The majority of FPLMs had two roots (96%), whereas the remaining 32 FPLMs (4%) had three roots. Almost two-thirds of the sample (62.7%) had three root canals, whereas only three cases (0.4%) of the FPLMs had six canals. When comparing bilateral differences in the distribution of root canals, it was determined that a quarter of FPLMs (24.1%) had an unequal number of canals. Moreover, there were differences in the number of additional canals between the mesial and distal roots with 17.5% of the former having three canals as compared with only 0.5% of the distal root. Interestingly, not more than one canal was observed in all additional root cases. No significant differences were observed in the number of canals between males and females or between right and left sides of the examined FPLMs (P > 0.05). Conclusion: Dental clinicians should be aware of the presence of an additional root in 4% of FPLMs, and about a quarter of the cases (27%) had an extra middle mesial canal in the mesial root, which was found to be more prevalent in middle age groups.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed113    
    Printed13    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded17    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal